“So, what are you doing after you graduate?”
“Congratulations! What’s next in life?”
“What are you doing after graduation?”
I DON’T KNOW.
I have a job. I have had a steady job for 6 months that pays the bills and I love the kiddos I work with. But I know that it’s just a job until I figure out what I really want to do. The thing is that I have no idea what I want to be. Even when I just sit and let myself dream about what I want to do in the future there is not one career that actually seems to fit me. I don’t want to be a butcher, baker, candle stick maker, doctor, lawyer, sex toy designer, penguin tamer, janitor, teacher… nothing appeals. I don’t want to work full time for LGBTQ rights, or full time with youth, I certainly don’t want a cubicle.
So what would an amazing, fulfilling career entail for me?
In my ideal, mythical career that doesn’t exist I’d want:
- To connect with people on a personal level
- To travel, at least some
- Not work work exclusively with LGBTQ populations, but to never have to hide, lie about, or be ashamed of my various identities
- To meet new and interesting people often
- To be able to share my ideas from the start
- To work collaboratively with others, not doing things alone all the time, but the ability to work on my own when I need/want to
- For this to be a career that is not totally geographically specific
- To be part of changing, for the better, a community
- To learn and grow and have a great time doing it
so what? I want to be…
Tell me, folks, what is my future career?